Monday, January 5, 2009

eek!

Been a really long time, it's been pretty difficult to keep up.
There's obviously a lot to write about. The emergence of the Hawks as a force, the 9 game streak, the Classic, Detroit in general, fucking tons of stuff!

Let's start simple. I was at the Winter Classic (thanks Andrew) and it was wonderful. Really amazing to be there and see that, and I had a great time, great seats, and great weather. The outcome? Eh. I guess I'm a little less upset than I was right as the game was ending as is usually the case. It's still a little sore though, you know? I'm working my way past the fact that we didn't skate after them for the last two periods. See, when we go to the body on Detroit we score goals. As does every other young team that plays them. They somehow get the Hawks to try and play a skill game against them though. That shit will not and never has worked. Detroit's offense and defense is built on steady pressure, not flairs, and trying to play a flair game against them will yield nothing but losses.

There's something to be said about the way that the Hawks have stuck together this year though. Toews is emerging as a true leader and that is not to be questioned. Versteeg has steadily scored and will continue to as long as he keeps up board pressure, works hard behind the net, and doesn't wear out from a long NHL season. Eager and Ladd have been huge for us and have not gotten any recognition for it. Duncan Keith is the best defenseman in the league. How'd this happen?

The Hawks have the potential to be a top tier team for the rest of the year if they just stay calm. Slow and steady wins the race and this has been the steadiest I have seen a Hawks team in a long time. No serious valleys and a quick recovery from losing Denis. We'll see how this Kane hiccup affects the boys, as it seemed to be unnoticed last night in Calgary.

We move on to a game tuesday with Phoenix that Kris Versteeg should keep his fucking head up for. Last time, Gretzky's dumbass called for Kris' head and I'm sure there will be some runs at him.
I think he might catch Phoenix by surprise with how tough he is.

More soon, I kinda promise.

No comments: