Monday, November 24, 2008

Fuck the Circus

I remember last year when the circus trip pretty much sealed the deal that the playoffs weren't happening for us. I mean, we made an admirable run at it after that disaster, but we ended up where we should have, a few points out. Now I know that sounds shitty but when you think about it, it's gonna be hard to convince me that we were a playoff ready team last year. Our situation now is much much better and we are looking like a possible top 5 seed. Wouldn't it be great?

All I can say is that if the post-season brings on as much mental stress (for me, not the team) as I believe it will, maybe I'm ready to wait another year. We're maybe a quarter of the way through the season now and the games pretty much determine the kind of night I am going to have. I can't go out after losses (even on the weekends) and if I do things usually end up a little questionable. But, kids, we're winning.

Khabibulin was named the NHL's third star of the week and becomes the first Blackhawk to earn the honor this year. Well deserved, methinks, as Nik has stood on his head three games in a row now. Sure, this makes the goalie situation a little more tense, but, kids, we're winning. Huet told the Daily Herald yesterday that he was "frustrated" with his playing time. He managed to save a total controversy by saying that he is getting outplayed by Nik, but I'm sure there's still a little acid in that bath. Huet is a top-tier goaltender in the NHL. People have dogged him all year, and I have joined in from time to time, but this is not an easy situation to deal with. Sure, for five million a year I'd probably find a way, but Cris is a competitor and wants to play. There's been talk on the boards (mostly dumbasses, mind you) about trading away Huet instead of Nik, but that is insane. Not only does that present a problem when Nik eventually runs out of gas or gets injured (remember who we're talking about here) and we have to throw Niemi into an even stranger situation that Huet, but it doesn't bode well for our chances of landing free agents in the future.

Yes, there is a cap problem and things should have been dealt with differently. But, kids, we're winning.

Shut the fuck up.
These situations will figure themselves out.
I'll admit, I was a little worried about the prospect of trading a big young forward for an old, slow, dildo-face like Nylander because I really thought it was goin to happen. The only thing that kept me sane was that I believe this team is getting tastes of what makes teams successful. The surge in attendance and attention from the NHL has made these kids step up to the plate. They're not going to be allowed to fail as they were in the past. They watched their mentor and friend, Denis, get mowed down in the PR malestrom. They're being mentioned in nearly every rumor in the NHL, and they have a 20 year old captaining the team (who only has two goals, after big expectations) But, you know what, kids, we're winning. Go Hawks.

No comments: